Thursday, October 12, 2017

On Being a “Good” person

You know, being a “good” person is subjective, but I think that I’m a pretty good person. I want to talk about that. People tell me that I’m a “good” person a lot. When they say it, they SEEM to be thinking that it is just my natural state. That I am inherently good, and always have been. This makes me think that many people don’t feel that it’s possible to be better than they are. This is flawed thinking. I often have to remind myself to do good things. I often have to take a moment and ask myself what action the person that I strive to be would take in any situation. I am so imperfect, as are we all. The ONLY thing that makes me a “good” person is the effort that I put forth to be one. Effort = everything. Do I fail? Hell yes I do. Over, and over, and fucking over. But keep trying. The more effort that you put into reminding yourself to do the right thing, the more easily it will come. Ask yourself who you want to be, and then do what that person would do. It is hard, although I make it sound simple. But try it. My mama always told me that the hardest thing is always the right thing to do, and she was pretty much right about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment